Tianjin Medical University’s predecessor was Tianjin Medical College which was established in 1951. It was the first medical institution approved by the State Council after the founding of The People’s Republic of China. The first president of the university was Professor Xianyi Zhu, a renowned endocrinologist and medical educationist. In 1993 Tianjin Medical College and Tianjin Second Medical College were merged to form Tianjin Medical University, one of the national “211 Project” key universities in China. Currently, Professor Yongfeng Shang, a famous biochemist & molecular biologist and academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, is holding the post of the president of university.
The university aims to develop into a preeminent research and education institution with medical science as the core and life science as the main support to develop the university into a multi-disciplinary medical university. The university staff is comprised of a large group of distinguished professors and scholars from home and abroad. There are 8683 teaching and administrative staff, including 8161 professionals. Among these professionals are 563 professors and 987 associate professors, of which there are an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, two academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, nine “Yangtze Scholar” visiting and special appointed professors, four “ National Thousand Talent Plan” professors, four winners of National Outstanding Young Scientist Foundation”, four candidates of National Million and Ten Million Talent Project in New Century of Ministry of Personnel, 14 Excellent Talent of New Century of Ministry of Education, 11 young and Middle aged Experts who have made outstanding contributions appointed by the Ministries of Personnel and Health, 164 experts who enjoy the Special allowance of State Council, 229 Supervisors of Ph.D Programs and 737 Supervisors of Master’s Degree Programs.
There are 9697 full time medical students studying at the university, among them are 5353 undergraduates, 2845 Master’s degree Students, 434 Ph.D Students and 1062 international students. Tianjin Medical University is the second pilot medical university approved by the Chinese government for 8 years medical education after Peking Union Medical University and is among the first 15 pilot institutions to offer the seven-year medical program. They are clinical medicine (seven-year and five-year programs), Dentistry (seven and five years programs), Anesthesiology (five-year program), Medical Imaging (five-year program), Medical Laboratory (five-year program), Preventive Medicine (five-year program), Nursing (five-year program), Biomedical Engineering ( four-year program), Pharmacy (four-year program), Pharmaceutical Preparation (four-year program), Law of Science (four-year program), Optometry (four-year program), Sports Health and Rehabilitation (four-year program), Health Administration (four-year program), among them the nursing ,biomedical engineering and medical imaging are the first subjects which started in China.
The university has 5 national key subjects: clinical discipline of integration of traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine; oncology; urological surgery; neurosurgery; and endocrine & metabolic diseases. There are 10 key construction subjects of “211 project”: clinical discipline of integration of traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine, oncology, urological surgery, neurosurgery & neurology, endocrine & metabolic diseases, imaging & nuclear medicine, pathogen biology & immunology, pathology & pathophysiology, public health & preventive medicine and pharmacy. The university has 15 Tianjin key subjects. There are 13 Provincial and Ministerial key laboratories: the key laboratory of breast cancer prevention and care, Ministry of Education; the key laboratory of hormone and development, Ministry of Health; the key laboratory of immune micro-environment and disease, Ministry of Education; the key laboratory of variation of nerve injury and regeneration, Ministry of Education; Tianjin key laboratory of tumor prevention and cure; Tianjin key laboratory of basic medicine of urology; Tianjin key laboratory of cellular and molecular immunology; Tianjin laboratory of lung cancer metastasis and tumor micro-environment; Tianjin key laboratory of medical epigenetics; Tianjin key laboratory of crucial techniques of clinical medicines; Tianjin key laboratory of oncological immunity & biotherapy and Tianjin key laboratory of functional imaging as well as coordinated innovation center of epigenetics. We also have 13 research institutes at our university. Since the 15th Five-year Plan the university has undertaken 1886 national, ministerial and Tianjin research projects and obtained 245 awards, including 5 national science & technology awards, 10 first prizes and 63 second prizes of Ministerial and Tianjin science & technology awards.
Admission to Tianjin Medical University
Application form is prerequisite, and every university has its own version. SICAS will guide you step by step to fill the exact one when you click”Apply now” on the page of your favorite course. Be sure to prepare fully the following documents before starting online application. You will be asked to upload attachments in the application progress.
- Bachelor's Degree: The applicant must be a high performing school graduate. The age must be over 18 and under 30 years old. Graduation certificates, high-school diplomas transcripts and financial guarantees are needed.
- Master's Degree: The applicant must be a college or university graduate. The age must be under 35.
- Doctorate degree ( Ph.D ): Applicants must have Master’s Degree. The age must be under 45.
- Post Doctorate: Applicants must have doctorate.
- Senior Graduate Student: Applicants must have obtained either a MSc. or Ph. D. qualification. On admission, you are engaged in the chosen research specialty under the instruction and direction of a professor in charge. No time limit restriction.
- Junior Graduate Student: Applicants must have studied medicine for at least two years. On admission you are engaged in your own specialty or new interrelated ones. No time limit restriction.
- Short-term Medical Courses: Scholars and students must have some experience in medicine. There is no age restriction with these courses, which are run according to student number.
- Chinese Language Course: We provide the Chinese language course to the students and scholars who are interested in Chinese language. We also offer the Chinese language courses for Bachelor's degree medical students.
Tianjin Medical University has two campuses: Guangdonglu Campus and Qixiangtai Campus. Apartment for International Students is in Qixiangtai Campus, the accommodation’s price is approximately RMB30/Day.
- Book in advance
- To rent off campus is allowed
- Hotel in campus: Tianzhong Hotel
- 24 hour check-in service
- One week moving in before registration is allowed
- Pay by cash monthly at least
- To move in before registration is allowed