The first-ever national university in the Caucasus was opened in 1918 laying the foundation for a European-type higher school in Georgia, based on Georgian educational traditions. The idea of foundation of the university first emerged as far back as the early 19th century amid intensification of the struggle for liberation from Russian empire. A new generation led by great Georgian public figure Ilia Chavchavadze, with whom a new stage of spiritual revival in the history of our country is connected, appeared on the scene in the sixties of the 19th century. The struggle for establishing the university became especially vigorous during those years.
Real possibilities of establishing a higher school have opened up after the Nobiliary Manorial Estate Bank was founded in Tbilisi. It was the only bank throughout the Russian empire, which spent its incomes to promote the cultural-educational and economic interests of the nation. From the beginning of the 20th century Ivane Javakhishvili, who underwent his studies in Petersburg and became its assistant professor, started to organize the foundation of the Georgian University. From the very first days of the February 1917 revolution, Ivane Javakhishvili, who was in Petersburg by then, started active preparations for the opening of a higher educational institution.
Tbilisi State University is an active member of leading international education networks and is proud of its alumni - prominent professors, scientists and graduates, who have successfully integrated into the European community and gained the recognition worldwide.
TSU offers a wide variety of degree programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels and short courses offered in English language attracting students from all over the world. The internalization of TSU is fast- paced and it aims at creating multicultural environment that will enhance teaching and research opportunities. TSU promotes the equality to access education and believes in engaging and valuing all students and staff.
Why Study MBBS at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University?
Tbilisi state university(TSU) is an independent successor which follows multi- century Georgian culture, humanistic traditions and ancient Georgian educational, cultural and scientific centres.
- It is renowned public institution running with the aim of providing professional and skilled doctors to the world.
- It is known for its humanistic and national values.
- It is promoting international traditions via unconventional research & multi-cultural students and faculty members.
- Taking care of professional and personal development of students through modern researches and methodologies and developing their scientific and research based educational activities.
- Students from all countries are treated equally and are provided same guidelines and protocols with in-depth clinical knowledge approach.
- It also enforces the scientists in the university to streamline the collaboration with students.
Passed 10+2 with an aggregate 50% marks in subjects are Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Age over 17 years and must have a valid passport.
Education in English medium
Facilities of university
- Library – the university comprises of well-furnished library with 3700000 books and periodicals to have a better understanding of course outline and research topics which itself diminishes the overdependence on internet.
- Museums– There are 7 museums inside the university which takes care of artefacts and other objects of cultural, historical and scientific. The museums of TSU are science based which preserves the scientific facts and bodies.
- Printing press– students need not to go anywhere for any printing based work as there is a specific printing press department inside the campus with all the required printing and Xerox machines, binder machines, laminator, saddle stich binder, guillotine cutters and many more.
- News Papers– university also provides newspaper facility specially for students to get to know the current and upcoming events and they specially covers “Tbilisis Universiteti “which contains majorly scientific information and research papers.
- Clinics and Hospitals– TSU has a separate hospital and departmental clinics in every regional branch with skilled surgeons, physicians, nurses with all the medical resources availability and a separate emergency wards which provides immediate assistance to patients.
- Accommodation– university provides in build hostel facility to students separated for men and women with more than 2200 living rooms of all the common and standard amenities with international traffic.