Akaki Tsereteli State University is one of the oldest universities in the country. In fact, it was established on the basis of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University. Under the resolution of January 8, 1933, the Tbilisi State University was restored. The state pedagogical institute created on its base was moved to Kutaisi and continued functioning here from February 13 the same year. In 1933-1990 it existed under the name – Aleksandre Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute. The institute was accommodated in the city center, in the building were before a Real College was functioning.
Based on the traditions of the Fazisi and Gelati Academies and principles of the “Magna Charta of the Universities”, Akaki Tsereteli State University - one of the oldest Caucasian multi-profile higher academic institutions, which ensures the unity and high quality of educational, research and business processes - aims at preparing professionals and leaders who will contribute to the development of their country and the world by creating, accumulating and spreading knowledge
Kutaisi university was an integrated part of TSU which formed under the guidance of Ivane javakhishvili in 1933, they started with 700 students and now came up with 160k graduates.
The professors who became an integral part of Kutaisi university to deliver lectures were Giorgi Akhvlediani (1886-1973), Ivane Beritashvili (1845-1974), Niko Berdzenishvili (1896-1965), Angia Bochorishvili (1901-1982), Levan Gokieli (1900-1975), Ivane Kacharava (1891-1977), Korneli Kekelidze (1878-1962), Niko Ketskhoveli (1898-1982), Mate Mirianashvili (1908—1975), Shalva Nutsubidze (1888-1969), kote bakradze (1895-1970), Mikheil Sabashvili (1901-1979), Dimitri Uznadze (1889-1950), varlam topuria( 1901-1966), Simon Kaukhchishvili , Aleksandre prangishvili( 1906-1988) etc.
Why MBBS from Kutaisi university?
- It is a public governing body which has its control under Georgian federation which looks upon its resources very carefully and thoroughgoingly.
- The general medicine course of the university has gained importance and stands on 3rd position in Georgia after Ivane javakhishvili and Batumi shota Rustaveli university.
- The university is comprising of world class faculties and suitable medical aids and equipment’s that are placed hygienically in the clinical departments.
- There is a separate department for overseas students who can also opt their preferred medium of study either English or Georgian.
- Faculty of arts– the university with its clear vision has offered the research institute of arts with complying standards of tradition with classroom study and research with offerings of various languages clubbed with the history and culture of respective countries. They publish their own journal including research papers in conventions and culture. Their aim is to provide the command on general language with contemporary skills and Kartvelian dialects and to develop the basic understanding of decision making with multi-cultural patients.
- Faculty of social science and humanities– the university offers medical humanities which includes ethics, literature, philosophy, history, religion and social sciences by laying emphasis on psychology, anthropology, cultural studies, sociology, health geography, etc.to inculcate dissentient qualities and practices. They also focus on clinical ethics to develop a sense of professionalism and expertise that every student must know and use while practising with patients.
- Faculty of pedagogics– the basic understanding of having pedagogics in clinical education is to develop pedagogical strategies to encompass the knowledge and understanding in student’s behaviour. In order to check whether the pedagogical strategies are giving learning to students, the university also checks by doing research of pedagogy.
- Faculty of exact and natural sciences– The key objective behind this department is to consolidate scientific culture with general culture and also encourages students to prepare for competitive exams for further studies like IUFM (basically made for administrative and teaching entry).
- Faculty of Medicine– The faculty of medicine is the major and most stabilize department in Akaki tsereteli university which focuses on physiology, anatomy, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, genetics, paediatrics, general surgery, internal medicine, etc. which gives the complete version to have a better understanding in medicine.